Feb 28, 2014

Snow day

The past couple weeks have been unusual in ol Buena Vista. This is my first winter here so I'm not totes sure what the norm is, but I discovered that 13 inches of snow means a "state of emergency" and, according to the alerts, "stay home". OK!! 
I'm not sure how to not sound snobby in saying this, but growing up in Utah and working in the snow industry most of my life, I have never been found wanting in the snow gear department. I don't remember the last time I got cold or wet while being in the snow. This snow day made me appreciate all those people from Texas who made a trip up to Utah to go skiing with only glove liners and jeans. 
Because that's all I have here! 
I got super and wet and cold, and I loved it. 
 My snow compadre was a little more prepared and delicious looking

 We might have looked nice, but we had no sleds or tubes. First time in my life I haven't had a sled within 12 steps at any given moment of any season! So we sat in garbage bags and went down the road on our butts. While incredibly painful, it was one of the best times I have ever had in the snow. 
 So good, in fact, that we decided to go pick up some friends so they could join in the fun.
G parked the car down the road the night before, because he is incredibly intelligent and smart and brainy. As I have mentioned in previous posts. Because it's true. He goes to college. 
 I was in charge of driving (peeling out) backwards, and G was in charge of killing his body and soul while digging. 
 After 45 minutes we showed up at the Mantles. They commented on how our muscles looked incredibly large and bulge-ish. Yep. 
Aren't they the cutestststs?!?!
 These two have been BFF's since before such a thing existed, and they figured out how to steal and take apart the neighbor's wheelbarrow to make a sled. Genius. 
 Garret is holding "the paddle" (which doubled as a brake) and I am holding Garret. I simply can't help myself. 
 When we were too soggy to go on any longer, we came inside and gave ourselves a laser show using G's new lasers. For some reason it was incredibly entertaining. Oh dear. 
 Cassidy and I made cookies and the men headed out to build a fort. If there's snow and men, there will be a fort. Sadly I didn't get a photo of the end result, but it was about 6' high, all enclosed with candles for an atmospheric touch. Last week it was over 65 degrees here, and the fort is still in my driveway. This thing might last till next winter. 
Then the sun set. And that was perdy. 

1 comment:

Jayne said...

When the only points you get are style points, they really matter. I mean that in the best possible way.